In case you don’t know, we are spending a year Buying Nothing New. So being unable to spend any time or money on ‘norma’ shops, I have taken to the odd browse of the local charity shops…
I don’t know what it is about ties (no funny comments please..), but I always want to snap them up if I see any in charity shops. I originally wanted them to try and make some bracelets that I’d seen on Pinterest and I seem to have amassed a reasonable number, that are now sitting in a heap looking at me accusingly.
So, I decided to extend the search on my favourite pinning site and see if I could find 10 projects to re-purpose old ties. Having started off slightly concerned that I wouldn’t make it to 10, I found soooo many fab projects, (to prove it, check out my Pinterest Ties board…) so have had to narrow it down to my Top 10. Kind of wishing I’d bought more ties now…
- This was the original inspiration-fab and oh so cute bracelets made from ties-with an equally fab tutorial from Linda Eve
- Gadget case-from luvinthemommyhood-tutorial here to make a case for your i-pod, phone etc
- Jazz up a boring old t-shirt with tie ruffle around the neck!! Great tutorial from McKell’s Closet
- One to do with the Smalls-a snake necktie! This how-to is from Atlanta Zoo!
- If you’re feeling ambitious and have plethora of ties, how about making this great upcycled chair?! Here is the fab tutorial from ToolGirl Mag Ruffman
- How about this from Good Housekeeping, for a new spin on your Christmas Wreath this year?! (I know it’s only April, but it’s never too early to start planning!)
- You can make a funky cushion, like this by Barley Massey,
or this from ties2pillows.com
- You can never have too many bags, so how about one made from ties, like this one on Craftsy
- Ties naturally lend themselves to being used as straps, so make a new strap for your camera following this great tutorial on ecouterre,
- There are all sorts of wierd and wonderful dresses and skirts out there to try. How about this great how-to from Selkey Moonbeam, on Instructables (I love Instructables. Almost as much as I love Pinterest. Almost, but not quite..)
- And just becaue I couldn’t quite narrow it down to 10 (but hey, who’s counting) and I do so love a good lampshade, here is a fantastic lampshade made from ties! This is by Nancy Gamon and you can find her Etsy shop here
To check out lots more, have a peek at my Pinterest “Ties-who knew..?!” board!
So, what are you going to make first?!